Wilshere admits smoking ‘mistake’

first_imgArsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has expressed regret after being photographed smoking while on holiday in Las Vegas, admitting it was “unacceptable”. Press Association “The smoking? Of course I regret it,” he was quoted as saying by several national newspapers. “I’ve been seen before doing it. I said then I made a mistake and I have made a mistake again. People make mistakes. “I’m young and I’ll learn from it. I realise the consequences it has and the effect on kids growing up. “I have kids myself and I don’t want them growing up to think their dad smokes and it’s okay for a footballer to smoke because it’s not. It’s unacceptable and I will accept the consequences and I will move on.” Wilshere, speaking shortly before Arsenal’s 1-0 friendly defeat to the New York Red Bulls, revealed he is driven to succeed by his critics. The forthcoming season may be a defining one for Wilshere, who has had his fair share of injuries in the last three campaigns, but the 22-year-old is keen to prove he is up to the challenge. He added: “It does motivate me to try harder in training and not just in training; it motivates me to improve because a lot of people have started to talk (about me) – people who don’t know me but want to have an opinion. Now it is down to me. “This is a big season for me. I came back early to pre-season to show people my commitment. I am fully committed to the club and to my job and I want to show everyone that. “Over the past few seasons I’ve had a few injuries. This season I’m looking to have a really great pre-season and get a really good base of fitness and take that into the season.” center_img Wilshere was criticised last year when a photo of him smoking a cigarette outside a nightclub emerged and he pledged it would never happen again. However, the most recent image shows him once more smoking alongside friends in a swimming pool, and Wilshere admits he regrets his latest indiscretion. last_img read more

Jamaican Prime Minister Seeks Regional Solution to Crime

first_imgJamaican Prime Minister Andrew Holness has requested that the issue of violent crime be placed on the agenda of the next Summit of Caribbean leaders to be held in July 2018. He made the request speaking at a news conference following the closure of the 38th meeting of Heads of Governments in Grenada on Thursday night. Holness said while crime and violence had not been a matter on the agenda for this year’s summit, he had taken the opportunity to raise the matter.“I raised the issue from the perspective of not just a security issue. But also but from a macro-social perspective/ the use of violence as a means of resolving conflict, as a means of social control, as part of our social transactions is becoming almost a feature of our societies.”Holness said that regional governments have to take a “proactive role” in addressing crime, and asked CARICOM to place this on the agenda for the July 2018 meeting. He said the other leaders agreed.“I believe that this will start a process within CARICOM to address the issue of violence, particularly violence that ends up in crime,” Holness said.Jamaica and several other Caribbean nations, specifically Trinidad and Tobago, and Guyana have been beset by an onslaught of violent crime in recent times. The crime wave includes murders, aggravated robbery, and sexual assault. There is, however, concern about violent crime evolving within domestic disputes.Increasingly, Caribbean residents in the Diaspora are expressing skepticism to return to their home countries, even for vacations, fearing repercussions from the wave of violent crimes. Also, the Caribbean Diaspora is calling for measures to be taken to reduce violent crime in the region, for the long run.Copyright 2017 – Caribbean National Weekly Newslast_img read more

Communities Reject Sinking Fund Millage to Improve Hillman Community Schools

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisHillman- Residents in Montmorency, Presque Isle, and Alpena County made their voice heard Tuesday night by voting ‘no’ to reject a sinking fund millage for Hillman Community Schools.The count was 266 for ‘yes’ and 273 for ‘no.’ Hillman Superintendent Carl Seiter was nervous on election day but felt optimistic leading up to the vote.“Most of the discussion has been very supportive and I hope that holds true tonight,” said the Superintendent.Unfortunately for Seiter, that didn’t hold true. The millage was designed to span from 2018 until 2027, or 10 years. The idea for a sinking fund came from the rejection of a bond in the last election’s vote to consolidate Hillman Community Schools.“A sinking fund is much different than a bond issue. Sinking fund allows you to levy a millage rate, collect the money each year, and then make that amount of repairs or upgrades each Summer,” said Seiter.100% of the revenue collected will return to the school system. The revenue generated from the Millage would have amounted to approximately $176,000 per year with the upgrades to security, infrastructure, and general repairs.A table that broke down the ‘Sinking Fund Millage’ for residents of the area.A list of items that were to be addressed include updating security, a replacement of roofs for both schools, window replacements, technology upgrades, and improvements to the heating and electrical systems. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious Indian Reserve Road Set for Resurfacing ProjectNext MATE ROV Competition Comes Home to Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Centerlast_img read more