NFL ace Umenyiora tasks stakeholders on poverty, education

first_imgFacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… Nigeria born American NFL ace Osi Umenyiora believes it is time to get more practical in solving social problems.The Two-time Super Bowl winner says the NFL need to move on from ‘symbolic gestures’ and address social issues with ‘real resources and real funds’.The death of George Floyd in Minneapolis in May and the shooting of Jacob Blake in Wisconsin last month have been two high-profile cases of police brutality in America.But it has long been an issue in America – well before Colin Kaepernick took the knee before a San Francisco 49ers pre-season game in 2016.The ostracised former quarterback has been without a team since the end of that season, and while many players will follow his lead this season, Umenyiora wants players to find other ways to enact social change.‘I think that it is time for more substantive action to be taken as opposed to just taking the knee. Everybody is doing that, it’s becoming mainstream,’ Umenyiora said.Nigeria born American NFL ace Osi Umenyiora‘It’s the popular thing to do. To say black lives matter, to take a knee, post a black square. But what are you doing outside of that?’‘For me I feel like it’s time for players to be getting involved and actually doing things other than protesting. At this point everybody knows what you are talking about, so what are you protesting right now?‘We need to find a way to get the heart of a lot of these issues: the poverty, the lack of education, a lot of these different things that can really make a difference in people’s lives and the way they interact with each other‘I think it’s time for us to get doing that by committing real resources and real funds to that as opposed to just making symbolic gestures.’ After six months of unexpected and profound change, the two-time Super Bowl winner is not predicting a revolution in the NFL on the field.Read AlsoEx-NFL wide-receiver Reche Caldwell, 41, shot dead in ‘targeted robbery’‘It’s going to be the same old teams. You’re going to see a lot of the veteran teams in there, the teams that have a well-established head coach, the well-established franchises,’ he says.Teams have been forced to adapt to Covid protocols. They have not had a pre-season to scout talent and many will play without fans.center_img Promoted Content8 Addictive And Fun Coffee Facts5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks6 Incredibly Strange Facts About Hurricanes10 Hyper-Realistic 3D Street Art By OdeithWhat Is A Black Hole And Is It Dangerous For Us All?The Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreA Runner Uses Strava App To Create Amazing Pieces Of Running Art7 Thailand’s Most Exquisite Architectural Wonders10 Stargazing Locations To ‘Connect With Nature’Which Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?7 Truly Incredible Facts About Black Holes7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Betterlast_img read more

FIFA say the Luzhniki Stadium that will host the 2018 WCup final is ‘ahead of schedule’

first_imgRussia is avoiding Brazil’s mistakes.That was the message as FIFA inspectors completed their tour of the areas Russia is building for the 2018 World Cup – no delays here.While Brazil’s World Cup passed off largely smoothly, its build-up was dominated by the rushed finish to stadium construction and, even during the tournament itself, some stadiums were still unfinished and forced to deploy temporary seating and facilities.In Russia, things are different, said Chris Unger, FIFA’s top official overseeing Russian preparations, on Monday as he visited Moscow’s vast Luzhniki Stadium, which will host the final in 2018.”As we heard today, they seem to be ahead of schedule (at Luzhniki) which is good for everybody, because the sooner they finish, the sooner we can begin testing,” he said.Earlier on his five-day tour of the stadiums, Unger had said St. Petersburg’s new 69,000-seat arena, set to host a 2018 semifinal, was back on track to open in mid-2016 and host Confederations Cup games a year later. The arena, planned as a new home for Zenit St. Petersburg years before Russia won the right to host the World Cup, is almost six years behind its original opening date which looked likely to slip back to 2017, when it will hold Confederation Cup games.Meanwhile, a dispute over whether to keep the roof on Sochi’s Fisht Olympic Stadium has been resolved, easing the preparations there. Unger said the inspectors were told the roof would now be removed to create a more orthodox World Cup stadium. Those reassurances will be music to the ears of Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko, who pledged before parliament in April that Russia’s 11 host cities would avoid the “Brazilian scenario” – shorthand for delays, confusion and infrastructure chaos.While Unger focused Monday on Russia’s sporting future, around him were markers of the past – on the other side of the stadium’s grounds stood Spartak Moscow fans bearing large funeral bouquets, there to mark the 32nd anniversary of Russia’s worst sporting disaster. At least 66 Spartak fans were crushed to death at a 1982 UEFA Cup games, although some unofficial estimates have put the death toll as high as 340.For the FIFA delegation’s visit to Luzhniki, which hosted the 1980 Olympics, journalists were instructed to gather by a large, snow-covered statue of Russian revolutionary Vladimir Lenin, after whom the stadium was originally named.Unger also defended FIFA’s decision to send inspectors to three completed stadiums but not to seven areas which have barely started construction. Those stadiums, all in Russian provincial cities, will receive “virtual inspections” which Unger insisted would still be rigorous.”It’s not something that we walk away saying: ‘Oh, we’ve seen the plans, now we’re satisfied,'” he said. “It’s a process. We come back, we see what progress has been made, see if the plans are accurate, we validate.” Russian Sports Minister Mutko has raised concerns about two of the unvisited arenas, in Kaliningrad in the west the southern city of Volgograd, saying that costs may rise because of engineering challenges on their sites.Unger refused to touch on any topics with a political connection, repeatedly refusing to comment on Russia’s problems with racism at football matches.However, the head of the organizing committee was more vocal, insisting that Russia will try to “root out” problems among football fans for the 2018 World Cup as the country struggles with hooliganism and racism.Racism is “a problem that Russia doesn’t need” and the 2018 host nation is opposed to “certain people” who “use football matches for self-expression, not to watch football,” Alexei Sorokin told local media.Russian football has been tarnished by a string of racist incidents this season. On Tuesday, reigning champion CSKA Moscow will host Manchester City for a Champions League game in an empty stadium following numerous cases of racist behaviour by fans. Last month, Dynamo Moscow defender Christopher Samba was banned for two games by the Russian Football Union for raising his middle finger to fans in retaliation for monkey chants that were aimed at him.last_img read more

Estrella nails game-winning, step-back 3 as Mapua stuns Letran

first_imgLacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ “I just shot the ball and it went in,” said Estrella. “Coach told me to get the ball and take the last shot. I had a lot of confidence before I took that shot.”The Knights still had a chance to force overtime, but Rey Nambatac airballed his three-pointer at the buzzer.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsEstrella carried much of the load for Mapua with 18 points, seven rebounds, and seven assists, while JB Raflores notched a double-double with his 12 markers and 11 boards.Leo Gabo, who is playing his first game since serving the last of his four-game suspension dating back from 2015, went on a perfect 3-of-3 from beyond the arc, two of which coming in the final three minutes as the Cardinals mounted a huge fightback after going down 71-65. He finished with 12 points and four assists. Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend PH Dragon Boat team eyes Asian Games gold Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. Andoy Estrella. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netAndoy Estrella came up with the biggest shot in the clutch, drilling a gutsy step-back three to carry Mapua to a 78-75 stunner over Letran Tuesday in the NCAA Season 93 men’s basketball tournament at Filoil Flying V Centre in San Juan.The senior playmaker took the ball when it mattered the most and drained the game-winning trey with five seconds to spare over the outstretched arms of Jeo Ambohot.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Pagasa: Storm intensifies as it nears PAR El Nido residents told to vacate beach homes LATEST STORIEScenter_img Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next China furious as Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong Another vape smoker nabbed in Lucena Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Quarters: 17-19, 38-41, 56-61, 78-75. LOOK: Jane De Leon meets fellow ‘Darna’ Marian Rivera Jerrick Balanza topped Letran with 15 points, while Nambatac got 13 markers and three assists.Prodigal sons Bong Quinto and JP Calvo almost delivered the victory for the Knights as they took charge in the fourth quarter. The two combined for 23 points and eight rebounds in the losing effort.The Scores:MAPUA 78 – Estrella 18, Raflores 12, Gabo 12, Bunag 10, Victoria 8, Aguirre 6, Pelayo 5, Nieles 4, Orquina 3.LETRAN 75 – Balanza 15, Nambatac 13, Quinto 12, Ambohot 11, Calvo 11, Taladua 6, Vacaro 4, Bernabe 3, Balagasay 0, Gedaria 0, Pascual 0, Mandreza 0.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ View commentslast_img read more

‘Family-oriented’ June Mar Fajardo taught by mom to always stay away from trouble

first_imgOld rivals Fajardo, Slaughter finally face off in the PBA Finals PLAY LIST 00:59Old rivals Fajardo, Slaughter finally face off in the PBA Finals05:38San Miguel, Ginebra expect long, gruelling PBA Finals series01:42Despite decorated career, June Mar Fajardo is not yet done: ‘I don’t want to be stagnant’02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Gilas Pilipinas and the Australian national team got into a huge brawl late in the third quarter of their match in the Fiba World Cup Asian Qualifiers that saw basketball’s governing body suspend a total of 13 players from both teams get suspended.Of the 13, 10 were from the Philippines but Fajardo wasn’t one of them.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsTaking into account the heated atmosphere, it can be argued that it would’ve been easy for the 6-foot-10 Fajardo to jump into the melee but the five-time PBA MVP thought of the lessons his mother Marites taught him.Fajardo said back in July 2018 that his parents taught him to always stay away from trouble and the brawl happened with his mother Marites watching. LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. “I could’ve easily joined in because I was in the middle of it all and my mother was watching,” said Fajardo in Filipino. “I looked at her and she was shocked and I know that you shouldn’t resort to violence and not all things will be resolved by getting physical.”As for Marites, she’s always taught Fajardo to be peaceful but she herself was surprised that her son would turn into what he is today.“I just told him that he shouldn’t join the fight because there are a lot of little kids who look up to him and idolizes him,” said Marites in Filipino Sunday. “He should always stay out of trouble and just stay where he is.”Marites added her son has always been family-oriented ever since he was a kid and she constantly reminded Fajardo to be close to the Lord.“June Mar was always a family-oriented person and I always tell him that he should always be close to the Lord’s teaching because it’s from Him whom we get our strength,” said Marites. “That was how we’ve taught our child.”ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ June Mar Fajardo with his trophies which includes a fifth PBA MVP award. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netBULACAN, Philippines—June Mar Fajardo returned to the venue that hosted a dark chapter in his illustrious career.San Miguel’s jovial giant went back to Philippine Arena to collect his fifth straight MVP during the opening ceremonies of the 2019 PBA season six months after the Philippine national team got involved in one of the worst basketball incidents in sporting history.ADVERTISEMENT LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviñocenter_img SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting LATEST STORIES Chooks-to-Go gives financial aid to Sisters of Mary School Boystown View commentslast_img read more

Roger Federer dominates Alex De Minaur to win 10th Swiss Indoors title

first_img“It was fast but very nice. I think I played a great match,” Federer said. “I was great on the offense, made very few unforced errors and came up with the big shots and served well when I had to.”Federer’s fourth title in 2019 is the 103rd of his career. De Minaur has 100 fewer titles and won all three previous finals he played this season.Praising his 28th-ranked opponent, Federer predicted “so many more things to come for you. You are going up from here.”Federer forced the first break of service leading 2-1 in the first set, though only after De Minaur saved one chance in a 39-shot rally. It ended when Federer pushed a backhand wide.Federer clinched the break by finishing the next point with a clinical overhead crosscourt volley for a winner.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments Switzerland’s Roger Federer cheers after winning his tenth title at the Swiss Indoors tennis tournament at the St. Jakobshalle in Basel, Switzerland, on Sunday Oct. 27, 2019. (Georgios Kefalas/Keystone via AP)BASEL, Switzerland — Roger Federer won his hometown Swiss Indoors title for the 10th time by dominating Alex de Minaur in a 6-2, 6-2 victory on Sunday.The 38-year-old Federer put on a tennis clinic in his first match against the 20-year-old Australian, who was not born when the Swiss great turned professional and first played at Basel in 1998.ADVERTISEMENT Becoming his own man Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next DTI creates Marahuyo, a luxe Filipino fashion brand for global buyers Mixing speeds and angles with powerful ground strokes, Federer clinched on his first match point when De Minaur sent a forehand wide.Federer’s 10th Basel title was one of his most efficient. He did not drop a set in four matches played, and was never pushed to a tiebreaker.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGreatest ever?SPORTSFormer PBA import Anthony Grundy passes away at 40SPORTSSan Miguel suspends Santos, Nabong, Tubid indefinitely after ‘tussle’ in practice Matteo Guidicelli had saved up for Sarah G’s ring since 2014? Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles04:11Robredo accepts Duterte’s drug czar post appointment04:11Robredo accepts Duterte’s drug czar post appointment02:11Makabayan bloc defends protesting workers, tells Año to ‘shut up’03:07PH billiards team upbeat about gold medal chances in SEA Games01:38‘Bato’ to be ‘most effective’ CHR head? It’s for public to decide – Gascon02:07Aquino to Filipinos: Stand up vs abuses before you suffer De Lima’s ordeal01:28Ex-President Noynoy Aquino admits contracting pneumonia00:45Aquino agrees with Drilon on SEA games ‘kaldero’ spending issue MOST READcenter_img Bill Belichick wins 300th, perfect Patriots beat Browns 27-13 This jewelry designer is also an architect He forced two set points on his opponent’s serve and took the second when De Minaur netted a forehand.Federer also broke De Minaur’s next service game in the second set, taking his third break chance. A forehand passing shot from behind the baseline left De Minaur at the net.De Minaur earned some respite saving another break chance at 4-1, and even put rare pressure on Federer’s serve at 0-30 in the next game. Federer quickly took back control with a backhand half-volley passing shot.Federer extended his winning streak to 24 matches on Basel’s center court at St. Jakobhalle, where he has not lost since the 2013 final against Juan Martin del Potro.Federer is also a 10-time winner at the grass-court event at Halle, Germany. LATEST STORIES Canadian vaping study details danger from ‘popcorn lung’ chemical “I was really hoping that Roger was going to get sick of winning here and give someone else a chance,” De Minaur said during the trophy ceremony. “Too good again, that was amazing.”Sunday’s final took just 68 minutes, and Federer’s longest match all week lasted 79 minutes. Duterte calls himself, Go, Cayetano ‘the brightest stars’ in PH politics Ethel Booba on SEA Games cauldron: ‘Sulit kung corrupt ang panggatong’ Someone from the Philippines could win a $208 million jackpot this week!last_img read more