Daniele Rugani, Juventus defender, has tested positive for the coronavirus, as the Turin club announced tonight with an urgent statement published on its website. The player, at this time, is asymptomatic and the Vecchia Signora is activating all the necessary isolation protocol, in addition to rebuilding all the contacts that the defense had in recent weeks. Inter, rival last Sunday, is quarantined, as is the rest of the youth squad as a precaution. The 25-year-old footballer played all 90 minutes of the match against SPAL on February 22, and was on the bench on Sunday during the confrontation with Inter. Probably, in such a tragic moment for the country (just tonight Prime Minister Conte announced even tougher measures, closing all stores except food and drug stores) that Juve quarantine its players, coaching staff and all those who had contacts with Rugani, making it impossible for them to dispute the confrontation with Lyon on March 17, which was already in the air. The French coach himself today criticized the decision to play it when in Italy any sports competition has been totally suspended. The defender joined other professional footballers suffering from COVID-19: the first was Timo Hübers, from Hannover.
For more on this story, pick up tomorrow’s Whittier Daily News. LA MIRADA – Officials from the city and Home Depot, which wants to build a new store in the city, ran into a buzz saw of complaints at an nformational meeting about plans to improve traffic flow. About 100 people were present at the meeting Wednesday evening at the La Mirada Resource Center. Home Depot, which now has a store at the northeast corner of La Mirada Boulevard and Imperial Highway wants to close that one and build one at the mostly-vacant Crossroads Shopping Center, just to the west. As part of the plans for building the new store, officials want to close Wicker Drive at Imperial Highway and Hutchins Drive at La Mirada Boulevard. But some residents – especially those in the neighboring unincorporated South Whittier – said those closures will make it difficult for them to get in and out of their housing tract. 165Let’s talk business.Catch up on the business news closest to you with our daily newsletter. Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
“When you do things badly, you commit lots of mistakes and we didn’t adapt to the game. It is a massive disappointment given the season we had been having.”Barcelona went to Rome leading 4-1 after the first leg of their quarter-final tie, but a 3-0 loss at the Stadio Olimpico condemned the five-time European champions to a defeat on away goals.It is their third consecutive exit from the competition in the last eight.“We always try to give the maximum but we are knocked out and now feel everyone’s pain. We had high hopes this season and it has escaped us again,” added the 33-year-old, who also acknowledged that the game could have been his last in the competition for Barca amid uncertainty about his future beyond this season.Barcelona fell behind to an Edin Dzeko goal inside six minutes with Daniele De Rossi netting a 58th-minute penalty before Kostas Manolas headed in the crucial goal eight minutes from the end.The defeat came with Barca currently on course to win La Liga and with a Copa del Rey final against Sevilla approaching later this month.They are unbeaten in La Liga and had only previously lost once all season, to Espanyol in the Copa del Rey.“I would be lying if I told you we can take something positive from this,” midfielder Sergio Busquets told beIN SPORTS.“It is a very sad way to fall after the result we had. They were superior to us in all aspects.”Meanwhile, Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu apologised to the club’s supporters.“The dream for all of us was to reach the semis and I’m very sorry to all the Barcelona fans in the world,” he told Catalunya TV.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Andres Iniesta admitted Barcelona’s shock defeat to Roma was ‘painful’ © AFP / Filippo MONTEFORTEMADRID, Spain, Apr 11 – Barcelona skipper Andres Iniesta admitted his crushing disappointment after the Catalans were sent packing from the Champions League by Roma in sensational fashion on Tuesday.“It is very painful because nobody expected it with the lead we had,” Iniesta told Catalunya TV.
The Supreme Court has begun hearing an appeal by Donegal woman Marie Fleming against the refusal of the High Court to relax the absolute ban on assisted suicide.In January, the High Court ruled against the 59-year-old, who took a landmark case challenging the law on assisted suicide.Lifford woman Ms Fleming, who has multiple sclerosis, wants an order declaring the ban on assisted suicide declared invalid under the Constitution and incompatible with the European Convention on Human Rights. However, the High Court said while her rights were affected by the ban it could not agree the legislation was disproportionate.The court agreed personal autonomy, especially in medical matters, was a core Constitutional value affected by a ban on assisted suicide, but said it could not agree that it was a disproportionate interference with this right.Opening the case this morning, senior counsel Brian Murray said it would be his submission that the High Court was wrong in this decision.Mr Murray outlined Ms Fleming’s condition to the court and said she was in constant pain and distress and suffered indignity.He said she did not seek to have another person kill her, but she wished to and could take that step herself but needed assistance to do so.Mr Murray said she was unable to take a course of action open to an able-bodied person.He said the court would be asked to decide if the ban on assisted suicide impaired Ms Fleming’s rights under the Constitution and the European Convention on Human Rights.If so, the court would be asked to decide was it justified in doing so in the public interest and if it was proportionate.Mr Murray said the court would also be asked to decide if there was a discrimination between Ms Fleming and an able-bodied person who can take their own life.He said she has a right to a dignified death and to choose the manner and timing of that death.Mr Murray said the cruel irony was, were she able bodied and not experiencing the same acute degree of suffering, she would be able to do what she now wants to do.The appeal is expected to last three days.SUPREME COURT BEGINS HEARING LIFFORD WOMAN’S APPEAL IN RIGHT TO DIE CASE was last modified: February 26th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:MARIE FLEMINGsupreme court
The Right2Water campaign has called another major demonstration in Dublin on Saturday 29th August 2015 at 2pm with several buses are being organized to run from Donegal.The Right2Water campaign includes community groups, trade unions and political representatives and has been the biggest popular mobilisation since the foundation of the state with approximately half a million people attending their four previous demonstrations.A spokesman said “It’s very clear this government believes the water charges issue has gone away. We’re saying very firmly that it hasn’t and this will be the biggest issue when it comes to the next general election. “On Saturday, 29th August we intend to show this government that water charges are still the number one item on the agenda and we have no doubt this will be our biggest event yet.”The Right2Water campaign believes recent events where the government gave the Courts the ability to attach unpaid water bills to earnings in two years time have only added fuel to the fire.“People are outraged. The government obviously recognise they have lost the debate. Nobody wants these unfair water charges because they see it for the scam that it is.“We already pay for our water and sanitation through general taxation, which is progressive and fair and we want it to remain that way. Instead of listening to us, this government wants to intimidate and threaten people with Court dates and attachment orders, but we’re not falling for it. We will continue to build and articulate our ideals for a better, fairer Ireland that doesn’t put a monetary value on everything – including turning our water into a profitable resource to be privatised in the future. “Last month at the Irish Congress of Trade Unions’ Biennial Delegate Conference, delegates voted to make abolition of these water charges their policy for the next two years. By then we believe the people’s movement against these charges will have succeeded in protecting our human right to water and abolishing these regressive charges. The Conference also endorsed ensuring water remains in public ownership through a referendum.“Right2Water promised when it was launched it would finish the job and remove water charges from the statute books. We have done so much already but we have much more to do. In the coming months we will fulfil our promise.”The Right2Water campaign believes that water is a human right and the introduction of these water charges is an infringement on that right. While Ireland is currently the only country in Europe with zero water poverty, these charges will inevitably lead to a new form of poverty being introduced. In Italy, France, across Eastern Europe and Detroit in the USA, families are having their water shut off for being unable to pay their bills. This is not the future that we want in Ireland.The demonstration on Saturday, 29th August will be the most colourful and family friendly event yet and Right2Water say there will be face painting and balloons for children on the day.RIGHT2WATER DONEGAL TO SEND SEVERAL BUSES TO DUBLIN PROTEST was last modified: August 18th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Traders and business people have expressed surprise after Christmas arrived early in Co Donegal.Christmas jumpers on sale in Penneys in Letterkenny!by Rachel McLaughlin (who loves Christmas!)It may still be 111 days to Christmas Day but some stores are already stocking up on festive goodies. In Letterkenny some stores are already displaying Christmas jumpers and chocolates on their shelves.Penneys are stocking men’s jumpers, while Tesco have a large range of chocolate Santas and selection boxes.Letterkenny Chamber of Commerce CEO Toni Forrester said she was surprised at the early sale of the themed goods.Chocolate santas on sale in Tesco!“We are actually planning for Halloween,” she told DonegalDaily. She said that the Chamber will wait until Letterkenny’s independent stores get Halloween over with until they promote Christmas.“It helps people to budget” she said, “a lot of people have to plan ahead, when the goods are available they can put money aside.”But she admitted “It’s quite early, and it’s a surprise,” she said.Another business owner said Christmas just gets earlier each year.“It’s getting that early each year that some year we’re going to be celebrating it in the summer time. “For goodness sakes, some people are still planning on going abroad for their summer holidays.”FESTIVE FRIGHT AS CHRISTMAS COMES EARLY TO DONEGAL STORES! was last modified: September 5th, 2013 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:chamber of commerceCHristmasletterkenny
The Bulldogs put together a strong doubles performance at courts two and three. Sophomores Vinny Gillespie and Tom Hands defeated Michal Klanicka and Daniel Martinez 6-2 at No. 2, while juniors Ben Stride and Ben Wood clinched the doubles point with a 6-3 victory at No. 3. “The entire team and coaching staff are so excited about this championship. It has been tough a year battling injuries and we knew once we had everyone, not just healthy, but match ready that we could do great things,” said Drake head coach Davidson Kozlowski. “We put in a great two weeks of practice after wrapping up the regular season championship and feel we put in one of our most complete efforts today, giving us a sweep of the MVC regular season and tourney titles this year.” BLOOMINGTON, Ill. – The Drake University men’s tennis team earned its 10th MVC Tournament title on Sunday with its 4-0 sweep of Southern Illinois at the Bloomington Tennis Center. Drake 4, Southern Illinois 0Apr 30, 2017 at Bloomington, Ill.(Bloomington Tennis Center) Match Notes:Southern Illinois 17-4 (2-1 MVC)Drake 17-11 (3-0 MVC)Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,6,4)MVC Team Tennis Championship MatchDrake earns an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. Singles competition1. Gillespie, Vinny (DUM) vs. Piotr Baranski (SIUM) 7-6, 4-4, unfinished2. Stride, Ben (DUM) vs. Wilder Pimentel (SIUM) 3-6, 6-2, 0-2, unfinished3. Philips, Bayo (DUM) vs. Michal Kianicka (SIUM) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0, unfinished4. MacGeoch, Calum (DUM) def. Alex Pozo (SIUM) 6-4, 6-35. Hands, Tom (DUM) def. Daniel Martinez (SIUM) 6-1, 6-06. Clark, Ben (DUM) def. Param Pun (SIUM) 6-4, 6-0 Junior Calum MacGeoch secured the championship for Drake with a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Alex Pozo at No. 4. Sophomore Ben Clark extended the Bulldogs lead to 3-0 after cruising past Param Pun, 6-4, 6-0 at No. 6. The Bulldogs will find out their NCAA Tournament destination on Tuesday, May 2 when the 64-team field is revealed on NCAA.com at 4 p.m. “Today’s match was incredible. The energy was electric throughout out on the court and on the sideline,” said Hands. “We put together one of our best performances after a long season and it’s nice to see all the hard work and effort pay off.” Doubles competition1. Alex Pozo/Piotr Baranski (SIUM) def. Philips, Bayo/Thorold, Barnaby (DUM) 6-12. Gillespie, Vinny/Hands, Tom (DUM) def. Michal Kianicka/Daniel Martinez (SIUM) 6-23. Stride, Ben/Wood, Ben (DUM) def. Wilder Pimentel/Param Pun (SIUM) 6-3 Hands extended is singles winning streak to five matches with a 6-1, 6-0 trouncing over Martinez at No. 5 singles. Print Friendly Version
The typically sunny ‘Leaving Cert weather’ is nowhere to be found today, as Met Eireann has issued a weather warning for seven counties including Donegal.Persistent rain is due to lash the north west today (Wednesday) and tonight.The Status Yellow rainfall warning comes as 25 to 32 mm of rainfall is expected over 24 hours. The warning applies to Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo, Roscommon and Sligo. It will remain in place until 9am on Thursday morning.And it’s not looking any better for the next few days. Rain showers are forecast on Thursday, while Friday will be dry and cloudy before more wet conditions throughout the weekend. Showers may turn heavy and thundery on Saturday and Sunday evenings, according to Met Eireann. Met Éireann issues rain warning for Donegal was last modified: June 5th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Restructuring costs have pushed another member of Etihad Airway’s network of equity partners deeper into the red as debate continues about the future of Alitalia.Italy’s government stepped in last week with a bridging loan of up to 400 million euros to keep the troubled Italian flag carrier afloat while a decision is made about whether to sell it as a going concern or liquidate it.The Italian government has indicated it has no desire to renationalise the carrier and major investors have no appetite to put in more money after the airline’s workers rejected a restructuring deal that would have seen 1700 jobs cut and flight crew pay cut by 8 per cent.At the same time, Germany’s airberlin reported that net losses had widened from 446.6m euros in the 2015 financial year to 781.9m euros ($US852m) in 2016. The increase reflected 334.8m euros in restructuring costs but the airline also saw revenue drop as a result of a 4 per cent reduction in capacity and reduction in yield attributed to the threat of terrorism.The news remained poor for the first quarter of 2017 as losses widened from 182.3m euros to 293.3m euros, this time without the impact of huge restructuring costs.The airline said the first quarter was dominated by “the challenging structure of the old airberlin business model”. “Other external factors have had a negative impact including a ground staff strike at Berlin Tegel Airport and operational limitations of the airline’s new ground service provider, which led to flight cancellations and reductions in capacity,’’ it said.Airberlin announced the restructure in 2016 under former chief executive Stefan Pichler and new CEO Thomas Winkelmann said the airline had achieved “major progress” in three important areas.The airline is concentrating its route networks on flights within Germany and to major European cities as well as long-haul destinations such as the USA.It has reduced its fleet to 75 aircraft and cut its network from 387 destinations to less than 100.Thirty-five of 38 aircraft being transferred to Lufthansa Group under a wet lease agreement have been moved so far.Another 35 aircraft used to service certain leisure routes have also been transferred to Austrian low-cost carrier NIKI as part of plans to start a New European leisure carrier involving travel group TUI.Airberlin announced in December that it planned to sell its 49.8 per cent stake in NIKI to Etihad.A second stage of the plan is now pending regulatory approval of a joint venture between Etihad, NIKI and TUI.