Several regional administrations have shut schools and encouraged students to study at home, such as Jakarta, Central Java’s Surakarta and West Java’s Bandung. The decision was made following the government’s call for social distancing to prevent the spread of the disease.“We support the policy [to shut schools down] made by regional administrations,” Education and Culture Minister Nadiem Makarim said on Sunday, as quoted by Antara. “The ministry is ready to support all possible scenarios, including the implementation of long-distance learning.”The ministry has developed an Android-based application called Rumah Belajar (Home Study), which can be downloaded from the ministry’s website belajar.kemdikbud.go.id. It provides learning materials, digital classes, an online laboratory and question bank for students of early childhood education, elementary and high schools.The ministry’s early childhood and community education director general Harris Iskandar said regional administrations and schools had been ordered to be proactive and creative in delivering learning materials to students at home.”Some schools report that students are being given reading assignments and homework. Meanwhile, teachers will monitor their process regularly,” he said.Students, however, said studying at home might be a challenge for them as some could not focus on their subjects.Read also: COVID-19: Well-prepared emergency status, lockdown keys to protecting economy, economists sayKetut Dewi Gayatri Wahini, 17, a student of SMA 1 Singaraja state senior high school in Bali, has spent two weeks at home since her school was shut down over COVID-19 fears. She said she had struggled to study through the long-distance learning approach.”I feel sleepy all the time and can’t keep my focus when studying online at home,” she told the Post.“When I can’t solve some math problems, my teacher helps me through text messages. However, I still struggle to understand the answer,” she went on to say, adding that she preferred direct interaction with teachers to study.She was echoed by 17-year-old Mohammad Rafi Bagasfaranda, a student of Muhammadiyah senior high school in Sidoarjo, East Java. He said he was always distracted when learning at home for the last two weeks.”There is always a temptation to play games. […] I am not sure if the teachers would monitor my study at home,” he said.Both students said they were feeling uptight about the national exam, whether their respective school would decide to postpone it or not. (trn)Topics : Regions across the country have postponed the national exam and ordered students to study from home amid the government’s call for people to practice social distancing in an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19.Six provinces have postponed the national exam for vocational high schools, initially slated to be held from Monday to Thursday. Five regions – Jakarta, Banten, West Java, Central Java, Bali and Riau – have completely postponed the exams. Meanwhile, East Kalimantan held the first day of exams on Monday, but halted the remaining days.On the other hand, nearly 7,600 of 13,691 vocational high schools in 28 other provinces decided to go ahead with the national exam as scheduled, National Education Standardization Agency (BSNP) head Abdul Mu’ti said. “As many as 752,911 out of 1,546,932 vocational high school students [across the country] participated in the national exam today,” Abdul told The Jakarta Post on Tuesday.He added that the ongoing national exam would still follow the initial standard operating procedure.Read also: COVID-19: Jakarta suspends schools, exams for two weeksThe decision regarding the national exam for regular senior high schools, scheduled to be held from March 30 to Apr. 2, would depend on the development of the current situation, Abdul went on to say.
New Delhi: Australia’s star batsman Steve Smith has been ruled out of the third Ashes Test beginning on Thursday, Cricket Australia announced Tuesday.The 30-year-old – who has scored two centuries and 92 in his three innings in the first two Tests – suffered concussion when he was felled by a Jofra Archer bouncer on Saturday in the first innings of the second Test at Lord’s.”Steve Smith has been ruled out of the third Ashes Test at Headingley, with coach Justin Langer confirming the news after the batsman sat out Australia’s training session on Tuesday,” Cricket Australia announced on their website. Coach Justin Langer confirmed his absence after Smith sat out Australia’s training session on Tuesday. It has not been confirmed who will replace Smith in the Australia squad for the third Test at Headingley.Smith was replaced by Marnus Labuschagne in the second Test at Lord’s, with Labuschagne becoming Test cricket’s first concussion substitute. He made 59 as Australia survived a tense final evening to claim a draw and preserve their 1-0 series lead.(With PTI Inputs) For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
The Office of Medical Examiner and Trauma Services has revealed that 582 people lost their lives to drug overdoses in Broward County in 2016, more than double the amount in 2014, and up by 260 deaths from 2015.The latest trend among drug dealers is to lace or replace heroin with fentanyl, carfentanil, and other cheaply made synthetic drugs. In some cases, fentanyl and various synthetics are being laced with other illicit drugs like cocaine, or prescription medications like Xanax. In South Florida, someone overdoses on these powerful drugs every two hours.Fentanyl is a synthethic and many times more potent than heroin. It’s used under very controlled conditions in small amounts for hospital procedures such as colonoscopies. Carfentanil is also a synthetic that is so potent that a just a few salt sized grains can sedate a 6000 to 13,000 pound elephant. It’s estimated to be 100 to 1000 times more potent than heroin. It is not used to treat humans.In many cases, users of these deadly fentanyl and hundreds of other fentanyl derivatives have no idea their drug of choice contains a deadly combination until it’s too late.In the first six months of 2016, 199 drug overdoses were reported in Broward, but by the second half of the year, fentanyl and other drug use had become so endemic that the number had increased by another 383 cases.“If you’re buying heroin or cocaine, or any drug on the streets for that matter, it could be laced with carfentanil or other deadly opiates, and if it is, there’s a very high chance you will die,” said Dr. Craig Mallak, Chief Medical Examiner.More than 100 drug overdose deaths in 2016 were associated with carfentanil.
Four men have been arrested after they allegedly broke into a woman’s home and confined her for hours in an effort to steal her stimulus check.The incident occurred in Indiana around 1:00 A.M. Sunday.Officials at the Lake Station Police Department say the victim contacted them around 5:00 am stating that four men that she knew broke in to her home and held her against her will for hours to steal the check.The victim told police that one of the men immediately took her phone so that she could not call the police and another held her at gunpoint.The men eventually left but told the victim not to go anyway because they would be back.Once she was sure they were gone, the woman drove to the police station to report the incident.The four suspects, identified as Paul Blankenship, Phillip Guzman, Jacob Baughman, were located a short while later and arrested.They have since been charged with burglary with a deadly weapon, armed robbery, criminal confinement, among other charges.The men have all been taken to the Lake County Jail where they are being held on a $75,000 bond.
The Red Bluff Sunrise Rotary Roving Jail, which raises funds for groups such as the California Highway Patrol Explorers, Corning Chamber of Commerce and the Tehama County Library during the 11 Days of Round-Up, stopped in Tuesday to see the Tehama County Board of Supervisors. Pictured are Supervisors Dennis Garton, Bob Williams and Burt Bundy staying out of jail with get out of jail free cards, while Supervisor Steve Chamblin is arrested. Also pictured is Red Bluff CHP Area Commander Lt. Lou …
By Ayesha Haider, BA, MBA, AFC CandidateCredit Card Theft by Don HankinsDespite the attention that identity theft has received over the past few years, many of us still view it as a minor crime that happens once in a blue moon. While we take measures to protect ourselves from burglary, theft and other more “threatening” crimes, many Americans lack the awareness or resources to protect themselves from having their identities stolen. The Identity Theft Resource Center reports that financial identity theft is the most common type of theft, followed by government and medical identity theft. Furthermore, a 2015 Gallup poll reported that while the incidence of credit card fraud in 2015 declined by 5% last year, the incidence of identity theft among Americans increased by 4% and that 16% of individuals interviewed had been victims of identity theft. Identity theft has been called the fastest growing white collar crime in America by the Office of the Inspector General and, with more than 1 in 10 Americans being targeted, it is crucial for you to learn how identity theft can affect you and your family.Your Credit Report/Score: The financial consequences of having your identity stolen are far-reaching and may have long-term implications. A thief can use your identity to apply for credit, open additional accounts and access a host of other financial resources. These activities can impact your credit report – a resource that is used by employers, insurance agencies, and potential lenders to assess your financial well-being.Access to Credit: Identity theft can have a long-term effect on your credit score if the thief obtains new loans or accounts under your name. Your credit score is used by banks and other institutions to assess your suitability for a loan and also to determine what interest rate to charge you. Frivolous activity on your account as a result of identity theft is likely to result in your being denied access to funds, or in your being charged a higher interest rate.Bank account: Given access to a few key pieces of personal information, an identity thief can obtain access to the funds in your checking, savings and investment accounts. Your funds can be used to purchase goods, obtain cell phones or utilities in your name, or the funds can be drained from your account.Terrorism: While the relationship between identity theft and terrorism may seem a bit far-fetched, the reality is that identity theft has played a major role in many terrorism incidents, including 9/11 and the recent attacks in Paris. Nefarious individuals can use your identity to create fake IDs that allow them to cross borders undetected, or purchase resources in your name that cannot be traced back to them.Identity theft is slowly but surely becoming the most common white collar crime of our time. The above list addresses just a few of the ways that you and your family can be impacted by having your identity stolen. Be proactive in protecting yourself and your assets against identity theft by following these 10 simple steps.For more ways to prevent becoming a victim of identity theft, join our March 15 webinar, Identity Theft: How to Reduce Your Risk with Dr. Barbara O’Neill and Carol Kando-Pineda, Counsel in the FTC’s Division of Consumer and Business Education division.
Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ “I just shot the ball and it went in,” said Estrella. “Coach told me to get the ball and take the last shot. I had a lot of confidence before I took that shot.”The Knights still had a chance to force overtime, but Rey Nambatac airballed his three-pointer at the buzzer.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsEstrella carried much of the load for Mapua with 18 points, seven rebounds, and seven assists, while JB Raflores notched a double-double with his 12 markers and 11 boards.Leo Gabo, who is playing his first game since serving the last of his four-game suspension dating back from 2015, went on a perfect 3-of-3 from beyond the arc, two of which coming in the final three minutes as the Cardinals mounted a huge fightback after going down 71-65. He finished with 12 points and four assists. Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend PH Dragon Boat team eyes Asian Games gold Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. Andoy Estrella. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netAndoy Estrella came up with the biggest shot in the clutch, drilling a gutsy step-back three to carry Mapua to a 78-75 stunner over Letran Tuesday in the NCAA Season 93 men’s basketball tournament at Filoil Flying V Centre in San Juan.The senior playmaker took the ball when it mattered the most and drained the game-winning trey with five seconds to spare over the outstretched arms of Jeo Ambohot.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Pagasa: Storm intensifies as it nears PAR El Nido residents told to vacate beach homes LATEST STORIES Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next China furious as Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong Another vape smoker nabbed in Lucena Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Quarters: 17-19, 38-41, 56-61, 78-75. LOOK: Jane De Leon meets fellow ‘Darna’ Marian Rivera Jerrick Balanza topped Letran with 15 points, while Nambatac got 13 markers and three assists.Prodigal sons Bong Quinto and JP Calvo almost delivered the victory for the Knights as they took charge in the fourth quarter. The two combined for 23 points and eight rebounds in the losing effort.The Scores:MAPUA 78 – Estrella 18, Raflores 12, Gabo 12, Bunag 10, Victoria 8, Aguirre 6, Pelayo 5, Nieles 4, Orquina 3.LETRAN 75 – Balanza 15, Nambatac 13, Quinto 12, Ambohot 11, Calvo 11, Taladua 6, Vacaro 4, Bernabe 3, Balagasay 0, Gedaria 0, Pascual 0, Mandreza 0.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ View comments
Then-sophomore defender Craig Dalrymple (24) skates past a Bowling Green defender Oct. 29, 2013 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won, 5-3.Credit: Lantern file photoMore than six months after losing the Big Ten Championship in overtime, the Ohio State men’s hockey team is set for its first exhibition of the season on Saturday afternoon in Columbus.The Buckeyes’ exhibition against the University of Guelph will mark the first step in their quest for a NCAA tournament berth, something they’ve been denied for five straight years.Junior defenseman and alternate captain Sam Jardine said the sting of missing last season’s tournament was magnified for this year’s seniors — who have endured three years of postseason disappointment.Before last season’s 5-4 overtime loss to Wisconsin in Big Ten Championship, the Buckeyes failed to make the final round of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association playoffs in 2012 and 2013.“The veterans returning have a real bitter attitude toward the way things finished last year,” Jardine said. “It’s been good motivation.”While OSU has eight seniors on this season’s roster, coach Steve Rohlik said the departure of two upperclassmen has created questions for the Buckeyes’ offense.“We’re going to have to have a lot of guys score eight goals,” Rohlik said. “We’re going to have to score by committee and we’re going to have to be good at special teams.”Forwards Max McCormick and Ryan Dzingel, who combined for 24.5 percent of OSU’s scoring last season, both signed contracts with the Ottawa Senators during the offseason.Senior forward captain Tanner Fritz is the team’s top offensive returner. Fritz finished last season with the third-most points on the team (32) despite battling an injury that kept him out of the lineup for five games.Even with Fritz, OSU will have to get offensive contributions from all four lines to compensate for its losses, Jardine said.“The best teams do score by committee,” Jardine said. “I’m personally not worried about our team and the ability to score goals.”Freshmen gave the Buckeyes offensive support last season as first-years combined for 23 goals. Sophomore forward Nick Schilkey led OSU rookies in points with 13 goals and 13 assists.Saturday’s exhibition will give Rohlik his first opportunity to see this season’s seven freshmen compete against college-level competition.“I see a lot of guys playing because I think everyone on our roster can contribute right now,” Rohlik said.The Buckeyes’ returners have already had an opportunity to see the team’s new crop in practice. Fritz said he’s pleased with the class and has made special note of forwards Nicholas Jones and Matt Weis.“There’s two guys that have a ton of skills and read the game well,” Fritz said.Following a year where OSU had six different goalies on its roster, it will start the season with three goalies on its depth chart.Sophomore goalie Christian Frey joined Fritz, Schilkey and sophomore defenseman Drew Brevig on the Big Ten Preseason Players to Watch list. Frey joined OSU midway through last season after playing in the USHL, finishing with a 2.27 goals against average and .929 save percentage in 16 games.Rohlik noted that sophomore goalies Matt Tomkins and Logan Davis will also compete for the starting role.Rohlik said that senior defenseman Craig Dalrymple has not skated at 100 percent this season due to injury, but added the rest of OSU’s lineup is healthy.Fritz reported that he’d been felt an “aching feeling” in his leg during off-ice workouts, but said he underwent a precautionary MRI this week and the injury was not serious.The Buckeyes are scheduled to drop the puck at 4:30 p.m. at the Schottenstein Center.
FIFA’s president, Gianni Infantino suggested by his statement today that the 2022 World Cup cannot be expanded to 48 teams without agreement from hosts Qatar, while backing further study of the “interesting” proposal, according to AFP.Infantino did not declare Qatar can veto an enlarged 2022 tournament if FIFA voters decide in favour of an expansion. However, he said that imposition of a 48-team competition on Qatar, which is in the thick of preparations for a 32-nation tournament would be “absolutely” unfair.“Obviously, Qatar will need to agree and it will be the first to agree because we need to work together,” Infantino told reporters at FIFA’s headquarters in Zurich.Fan dies after setting herself on fire protesting Iran’s ban on women spectators Manuel R. Medina – September 10, 2019 A young woman from Iran set, only publicly known as The Blue Girl for the color of her favorite club Esteghlal, has died from her injuries after protesting Iran’s ban on female fans.FIFA voters coming together in Russia next week will decide strictly on whether 48 teams in 2022 merits closer analysis. The president noted it was premature to speculate on the likelihood of the idea moving forward.“We have a contract with the Qataris. They have been awarded a World Cup with 32 teams and that is how it is,” the FIFA boss said. “Contracts are there to be respected.”