Home » News » Land & New Homes » New housing consents highest since 2008 New housing consents highest since 20083rd March 20160566 Views There was a noteworthy increase in the number of planning permissions granted in the third quarter of last year, up from 53,409 consents in the corresponding quarter in 2014, according to data released in the Home Builder’s Federation (HBF) and Glenigan’s latest Housing Pipeline report.The statement suggests that 242,819 permissions were granted in the 12 months to October, the highest ‘moving annual’ total since early 2008.According to the data, 181,000 new homes were constructed in 2014/15, which broadly equates to the number of planning permissions recorded some two to three years ago. However, the industry remains concerned that the ‘lag’ of turning permissions into homes is becoming lengthier.“Whilst the overall increase in outline permissions is welcome, most of these still have to navigate the complexities of the planning system before they can be built,” said Stewart Baseley (left), Executive Chairman of the HBF. “It is imperative we speed up the time it takes for applications to be processed to the point that builders can actually build if we are to deliver further increases in housing supply.”The Government is holding a consultation on proposals to fast-track planning applications and introduce competition into the planning process, with a view to speeding up the planning process and increase housebuilding.Given that planning is consistently listed as a major barrier to building more homes, the Government’s ambitious reform proposals have been warmly welcomed by Baseley.“Introducing competition into the planning process and finding a way to incentivise Local Authorities to deal with applications more quickly would be a welcome step in the right direction,” he added.Commenting on the figures, Glenigan’s Economics Director, Allan Wilén said, “Planning approvals strengthened in the third quarter, as private sector developers bring forward more and larger sites than a year ago. Glenigan expect the expanding development pipeline to feed through to a rise in project starts during the current year.”housing consent HBF planning permission Home Builders’ Federation planning applications building 2016-03-03The Negotiator Related articles Calls for ‘green belt’ to be explained to public29th April 2021 Young entrepreneur launches UK’s first ‘modern’ land buying and selling portal15th April 2021 Retail and pub re-openings sparked newbuild sales homes surge yesterday13th April 2021What’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador is working from isolation at home a day after announcing he’s tested positive for COVID-19. The announcement comes as his country topped 150,000 confirmed deaths, the fourth-highest in the world. López Obrador has been criticized for his handling of Mexico’s pandemic and for not setting an example of prevention in public. He said Sunday on his official Twitter account that his symptoms are mild and he is under medical treatment. Mexico’s director of epidemiology says the 67-year-old had a “light” case of COVID-19. Interior Secretary Olga Sanchez Cordero says he’s still working.
Having once dreamed of a Big Ten championship, the UW volleyball team is looking for some answers after another disappointing loss.Only this time around, the Fieldhouse faithful were in attendance to witness it. The Badgers (18-5, 10-4 Big Ten) lost for just the second time at home this year to the Purdue Boilermakers (21-4, 10-4) in four games.With a 30-23, 26-30, 30-28, 30-23 victory, Purdue was not just able to avenge its five-game home loss to the Badgers earlier this season, but also pulled even into second place with Wisconsin in the Big Ten standings.UW head coach Pete Waite said the Boilermakers were able to use their potent defense to take down the mighty Badger attack, which ended up with a disastrous .166 hitting percentage.”We know that’s Purdue’s forte,” Waite said. “They increased the size of their block this year with getting [outside hitter Danita] Merlau in the front row, and [middle hitter Stephanie] Lynch really makes it tough to attack them at the net; they’re also picking up a lot of balls in the back row. They made a lot of really solid plays.”Middle blocker Taylor Reineke led the Badgers with a .303 hitting percentage, notching 12 kills against only two errors. Reineke also led the team in blocks, with one solo and seven assists.”Going into this match, we knew they would be tough because they have strong, physical blockers and their defense is really scrappy, they pick up a lot of [digs],” Reineke said. “It’s just really frustrating when you hit it as hard as you can, and you think it’s a really good shot, but they’re able to [return the shot].”Waite said the team succeeded in some of its goals, such as successfully containing Purdue’s All-American setter, Renata Dargan. Dargan keyed the offense with 57 assists, but came up with a negative hitting percentage with five kills and six errors.”Usually Dargan’s much more active, but we really held her in check,” he said. “But some other [Boilermakers] had some pretty big nights that really helped them out.”Illinois thriller: UW pulled off an escape act on Friday night, barely sliding by Illinois (13-12, 4-10) in five games, 30-22, 23-30, 30-24, 26-30, 15-10 to secure a weekend split.Wisconsin was able to survive the match against a competent five-game squad — Illinois entered the weekend with a 5-2 record in matches that went the distance — mainly with defense, holding the Fighting Illini to a .203 team hitting mark.Jocelyn Wack, the UW libero, led the charge with 33 digs, falling just two short of her career-best.”On some nights, you’re not really clicking on all cylinders,” Waite said. “Wack kept us in the match with some great defensive plays, and everybody really battled behind her.”Wack’s challenge was even more impressive considering she was assigned the unenviable task of defending blasts all night from outside hitter Rachel VanMeter, who currently ranks third in the nation with 5.70 kills per game. VanMeter put down 27 kills against 10 errors for a .243 hitting percentage.”The best hitters have a lot of different shots, so you might set up the block in one spot and your defense in another spot, [but] if they find two or three other spots, the best hitters will go there,” Waite said. “So we really had to just make some great efforts defensively to touch the ball no matter if [the shot comes] right at us or eight feet away.”The Badger offense countered with 19 kills from Meierotto and 16 from Jeffers. Despite Wisconsin’s struggles on the attack in hitting just .220, Jeffers was able to hit .393, leading all starting players in the match.UW’s big guns stepped up when it counted. Jeffers, along with captains Sheila Shaw and Aubrey Meierotto, combined for seven kills and four block assists in the final game.”They’re pretty steady, they don’t get too rattled,” Waite said. “That’s been a sign of them all season, and that’s been great.”While hitting just two aces in the match, the Fighting Illini donated 13 service errors, including a costly one by setter Stephanie Obermeier to give the Badgers a 14-10 lead and a match point in the fifth game.Meierotto said the Badgers, now 4-1 in five-game matches, have benefited greatly from the experiences of tightly contested matches.”It just challenges us, and I think that’s a good thing,” she said. “We have to learn how to fight through those games if we want to be one of the best teams in the country. We know we’re going to be playing and going up against teams like that, and it’s always a good test for us.”
UK Racing pushes for drastic levy reforms as deep recession looms August 25, 2020 Share UKGC launches fourth National Lottery licence competition August 28, 2020 Julie Harrington takes the reins as BHA CEO August 11, 2020 StumbleUpon Share Submit Related Articles The British Horseracing Association (BHA), the regulatory body for UK racing has welcomed the government’s betting industry triennial review judgement.Despite the far-reaching impacts of the government’s decision to cut FOBTs machine wagering to a £2 limit, and further increase UK remote betting/gaming duties to offset treasury tax shortfalls, the BHA supports the industry changing decision.“The British Horseracing Authority (BHA), on behalf of the British racing industry, welcomes the government’s determination to address the issues raised by problem gambling. We called for change during the consultation and we can see the government has acted decisively” details BHA in its corporate update.BHA governance details that it will work with DCMS to redevelop the ‘UK Race Levy’, which was reformed in April 2017, to cover remote wagering on UK racing events.In its announcement, the regulator published a letter from DCMS leader Matt Hancock to BHA Chairman Steve Harman, detailing that DCMS would look extend the levy to ‘global racing bets placed within Britain’.BHA governance believes the levy extension could partially offset potential reductions in income, which will follow today’s decision.The BHA’s Chairman, Steve Harman, commented: “We are grateful to the Secretary of State for his continued commitment to our industry. His letter today shows how he is planning to further support racing jobs, the rural economy and our future sustainability. We support his desire to reduce problem-gambling without harming Britain’s second-biggest spectator sport”.In the months prior to the government’s judgement, the leadership of FTSE betting firms had warned DCMS, that implementing a drastic FOBTs cut would lead to a UK-wide reduction is sports sponsorships.Nick Rust, BHAUpdating the market, BHA Chief Executive Nick Rust has acknowledged racing’s relationship with the betting industry, stating that the regulator would work with all stakeholders to reduce risks and impacts moving forward.“British racing shares a unique interdependency with the betting industry and we recognise that this decision will affect jobs in the betting industry, with which we work closely in partnership. We want betting on horseracing – on the High Street, at racecourses and online – to continue to be accepted as legitimate and socially responsible. Recreational betting has been a part of racing for centuries and is an accepted entertainment pursuit during a day at the races or on the High Street.” Rust detailed.“Our industry’s leaders – who have worked together throughout this consultation – will now work with the betting industry and Government as to how we can grow such legitimate, socially responsible betting activity on racing and take measures to address problem gambling wherever we can.”